- List of links to help hurricane evacuees Source: AJC
- Initiative to save the house where Superman was created. Found through Neil Gaiman's blog.
- Chateau de Saigon on Buford Highway looks really good.
- Speaking of Vietnamese, mmm, banh mi.
- Sushi House Hayakawa
Anyone who knows me a bit knows that I'm a sushi addict. This looks like a promising spot for a fix. To those on my Friends list who are also sushi fans, what do you think?
- Irradiated foods foods will now be labeled. Source: Creative Loafing
- Funds dry up for state reservoirs despite historic drought Source: AJC
- Voting machine company warns of program flaw Source: AJC
You know, it just seems like there's no excuse for us to still have voting machines with gaping security holes after all we've been through with Florida and Ohio.
- Budget cuts could close 13 parks Source: AJC
Ick. We've thought of going to Smithgall Woods. Given these cuts, maybe we should do it sooner rather than later.
- Delayed Fulton tax bills arriving this week Source: AJC
I'll be candid: this one hit us surprisingly hard. Nothing we can't handle, but more than we expected. At least we got it before I made any hotel or flight reservations for a trip to San Francisco that we were considering for our ninth wedding anniversary. We're going to skip it and do something smaller instead.
- The Book of Lies, by Brad Meltzer (the same guy responsible for the aforementioned Save Superman's House initiative).
I got curious about this because I saw a trailer linked from FireflyFans.net. Joss Whedon is in the video, which makes sense given that they've collaborated in the past ... what puzzles me is Christopher Hitchens' presence.
- Read Neverwhere for free. Source: Neil Gaiman's blog. It's a limited time deal, though, so hurry.
- Report: Ex-AG won't be charged for mishandling secret papers Source: CNN
- Dick Cheney thinks "alternative" interrogation techniques are okay Source: CNN
- National Counterterrorism Center defends charges that its system is ineffective Source: CNN
- Terrance over at The Republic of T. linked to a BBC article about research that indicates that memories of painful emotional experiences, such as verbal abuse, affect us far longer than memories of physical pain.
- Field Guide to The Nerd: It's All Geek to Me Source: Psychology Today
Patricia shared this article with me. Read it. Now imagine the difficulties faced in growing up as a woman with an S brain. Been there; done that, and I remain ever grateful for my parents.
- Amazon may enter college textbook market with new Kindle Source, Ars Technica, but my sweetie shared the link with me. :)
- Paraplegics take first steps with robotic legs Source: New Scientist, but again, my husband gets the credit for telling me about it.
- One more from my beloved: Samsung unwraps MacBook Air beater.
My problem? I want a full-on gaming laptop that is sturdy, lightweight, and that offers tablet functionality as well. In short, I just want everything. We're not there yet, but machines like this indicate that companies are progressing in that direction.